Beef and Potato Boats Recipe
Meet the Cook: Back when I was teaching elementary school (I'm now a busy stay-at-home mom to our two youngsters, 7 and 2), my class would put together a Mother's Day cookbook. Many of the dishes are still my favorites - this one included. -Linda Wheeler, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1 hour 20 min. + cooling Bake: 20 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 4 large baking potatoes (8 to 10 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup milk
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Wash potato skins and prick with a fork. Bake at 400° for 60-70 minutes or until tender; cool. Cut a thin slice off the top of each potato. Carefully scoop out the pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell. In a large bowl, mash the pulp with butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper and milk; set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan cook the beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Cool 10 minutes. Add bacon, sour cream and remaining salt.
- 3. Spoon into potato shells. Top each with a fourth of the mashed potato mixture; sprinkle with cheese. Place potatoes on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 428 calories, 28 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 109 mg cholesterol, 1,091 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 27 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC