Beef and Pasta Burgandy Recipe
Tender pieces of beef star in this time-honored dish from Diana Bachelder of Winter Haven, Florida. “Our kids often requested this recipe. My husband and I are empty nesters now, but I still make it for the two of us,” shares Diana.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours YIELD:2 servings
- 3/4 pound boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon red currant jelly or seedless raspberry jam
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup Burgundy wine or additional chicken broth
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup pearl onions, peeled
- 1 cup fresh baby carrots
- Dash pepper
- Hot cooked egg noodles, optional
- 1. In a saucepan, brown beef cubes on all sides in 1 tablespoon oil. Remove and set aside. In the same pan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, jelly and tomato paste until smooth; gradually add broth and wine or additional broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
- 2. Add beef and bacon. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until meat is tender.
- 3. In a small skillet, saute mushrooms in remaining oil until tender. Add the mushrooms, onions, carrots and pepper to beef mixture. Cover and cook 20-25 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Serve over noodles if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
1 cup (calculated without noodles) equals 651 calories, 39 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 131 mg cholesterol, 890 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 40 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC