Beef and Lamb Stew Recipe
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons dried marjoram, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1- inch cubes
- 1 pound lamb stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 10 small red potatoes, halved
- 1/2 pound medium fresh mushrooms, halved
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups cut fresh green beans
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 6 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the wine, oil, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon thyme, 3/4 teaspoon marjoram, 1/2 teaspoon rosemary and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; add beef and lamb. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours.
- 2. In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, layer the potatoes, mushrooms, onions, cauliflower, kidney beans, green beans, carrots, and celery.
- 3. Drain meat and discard marinade; add to slow cooker. Combine the broth, parsley, sugar and remaining garlic, salt, thyme, marjoram, rosemary and pepper; pour over the top.
- 4. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into stew. Cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until thickened. Serve with rice. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 cup meat mixture with 1/2 cup rice equals 377 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 499 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Beef and Lamb Stew
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.