- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the wine, oil, 2 minced
- garlic cloves, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon thyme, 3/4 teaspoon
- marjoram, 1/2 teaspoon rosemary and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; add beef
- and lamb. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours.
- In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, layer the potatoes, mushrooms, onions,
- cauliflower, kidney beans, green beans, carrots, and celery.
- Drain meat and discard marinade; add to slow cooker. Combine the
- broth, parsley, sugar and remaining garlic, salt, thyme, marjoram,
- rosemary and pepper; pour over the top.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are
- tender. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into stew.
- Cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until thickened. Serve with
- rice. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup meat mixture with 1/2 cup rice equals 377 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 499 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.