Beef and Cabbage Stew
For an easy and flavorful one-pot stew, I make this recipe. It is so comforting on a cold winter day.—Sharon Downs, St. Louis, Missouri
6-8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups chopped cabbage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion until meat is browned and onion
- is tender; drain.
- In a small bowl, mash 1/4 cup beans with 1/4 cup beef broth. Add to
- Dutch oven with remaining beans and broth, tomatoes, cabbage and
- seasonings. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the cabbage is
- tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 198 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 528 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 17 g protein.