- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups chopped cabbage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion until meat is browned and onion is tender; drain.
- In a small bowl, mash 1/4 cup beans with 1/4 cup beef broth. Add to Dutch oven with remaining beans and broth, tomatoes, cabbage and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the cabbage is tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Mike Ditka "The Coach" Cabernet Sauvignon CA 2011, a full-bodied, big bold cab with all of the dark fruit notes and structure that a great cab needs. Buy now and get 6 bottles, plus free shipping. Order Now
Reviews for Beef and Cabbage Stew
Sort By :
This soup was great, we loved it! Will definitely make it again.
I have not made it yet. I want to try it. Dianne Williams member
This is a regular in our house. Its like chili but with cabbage. I shared the recipe with my mom and she makes it all the time now too.