For an easy and flavorful one-pot stew, I make this recipe. It is so comforting on a cold winter day.—Sharon Downs, St. Louis, Missouri
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups chopped cabbage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion until meat is browned and onion is tender; drain.
- In a small bowl, mash 1/4 cup beans with 1/4 cup beef broth. Add to Dutch oven with remaining beans and broth, tomatoes, cabbage and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the cabbage is tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Beef and Cabbage Stew in Country Woman September/October 1994, p35
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Beef and Cabbage Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review