Beef and Broccoli Salad
From Yakima, Washington reader Sandra Rohrich comes this hearty salad, which she reveals works well as either a side or main dish. "I've used it both ways myself. What I like best about it, though, is that it's so quick to make," she comments. "My husband and children, on the other hand, tell me they love it because it tastes so good!"Sandra Rohrich, Yakima, Washington
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak
- 8 cups fresh broccoli florets (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup canola or sesame oil
- 1/4 cup white whine vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1-1/2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- Broil steak until it reaches desired doneness. Cool. Thinly slice
- into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- In a large skillet, stir-fry broccoli and mushrooms in oil for 3
- minutes or until crisp-tender. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Whisk the vinegar, soy sauce, honey and garlic. Pour over vegetables.
- Stir in the beef and water chestnuts; chill for at least 1 hour.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds just before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.