Beef and Blue Cheese Penne with Pesto Recipe
- 2 cups uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 beef tenderloin steaks (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 5 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper. Grill steaks, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145° medium, 160° well-done, 170°).
- 3. Drain pasta and transfer to a large bowl. Add the spinach, tomatoes, pesto and walnuts; toss to coat. Thinly slice steaks. Divide pasta mixture among four serving plates. Top with beef; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving equals 532 calories, 22 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 434 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 35 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.