Beef and Beans Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless round steak
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 beef bouillon cube, crushed
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. Cut steak into thin strips. Combine mustard, chili powder, salt if desired, pepper and garlic in a bowl; add steak and toss to coat. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker; add tomatoes, onion and bouillon. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Stir in beans; cook 30 minutes longer. Serve over rice. Yield: 8 servings.
One 1-cup serving (prepared with no-salt-added tomatoes and low-sodium bouillon and without salt; calculated without rice) equals 215 calories, 116 mg sodium, 53 mg cholesterol, 20 gm carbohydrate, 25 gm protein, 4 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.