Beef and Bean Stew Recipe
A large bowl of this stew on a chilly autumn day will quickly warm you up. It's great with a thick slice of homemade bread.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2-1/2 to 3 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, paprika, salt and cayenne. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, brown beef in 2 tablespoons oil. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- 2. In the same pan, saute onions in the remaining oil until crisp-tender. Add the water, tomato paste, sage and thyme. Return beef to pan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Add more water if needed. Stir in beans. Cover and simmer 15 minutes longer or until meat is tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1-1/2 cups: 364 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 462mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 33g protein.
Reviews for Beef and Bean Stew
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC