Beef and Bean Stew Recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2-1/2 to 3 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, paprika, salt and cayenne. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, brown beef in 2 tablespoons oil. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- 2. In the same pan, saute onions in the remaining oil until crisp-tender. Add the water, tomato paste, sage and thyme. Return beef to pan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Add more water if needed. Stir in beans. Cover and simmer 15 minutes longer or until meat is tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 364 calories, 15 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 462 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 33 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.