Beef and Bean Macaroni Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Crushed red pepper flakes and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. In a large bowl, combine the macaroni, 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese, beans, tomatoes, green pepper and onion. Stir in the beef, garlic powder, pepper flakes and pepper.
- 2. Spoon into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and remaining cheddar cheese. Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 289 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 289 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 meat, 1 vegetable.