"This hearty casserole with beans, beef and macaroni is a meal in itself," relates Sally Norcutt of Chatham, Virginia. "Since my husband, son and brother enjoy hunting, our freezer is stocked with venison, which I sometimes use in place of the ground beef."
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Crushed red pepper flakes and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. In a large bowl, combine the macaroni, 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese, beans, tomatoes, green pepper and onion. Stir in the beef, garlic powder, pepper flakes and pepper.
- Spoon into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and remaining cheddar cheese. Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Beef and Bean Macaroni in Quick Cooking March/April 2001, p55
Reviews for Beef and Bean Macaroni
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review