Beef and Bean Chimichangas
My family never gets bored with what I serve for dinner, because I'm always trying new recipes. These chimichangas, though, are often requested especially by our teenage daughter.Janice Lyons, Eagle River, Wisconsin
16 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) refried beans
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup taco sauce
- 16 flour tortillas (10 inches)
- Vegetable oil
- Toppings: shredded lettuce, sour cream, chopped ripe olives, chopped tomatoes, additional cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion, green pepper and garlic over
- medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the beans,
- cheese and taco sauce. Cook and stir until cheese is melted, about 5
- minutes. Remove from the heat. Spoon about 1/3 cup off-center on
- each tortilla. Fold up edge nearest filling; fold in both sides and
- roll up. Secure with a toothpick. In a large skillet, fry tortillas,
- folded side down, in oil for 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Turn; cook 2-3 minutes longer. Drain on paper towels. Serve with
- toppings of your choice. Yield: 16 chimichangas.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 328 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 574 mg sodium,