Beef and Bean Burritos Recipe
This recipe made it through the pickiest taste testers: my kids! They absolutely hate beans, but love, love, love these plump burritos.—Mindy Culver, Post Falls, Idaho
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. + freezing Cook: 5 min./batch YIELD:16 servings
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) refried beans
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend or cheddar cheese
- 1-1/3 cups enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 16 flour tortillas (10 inches), warmed
- Optional toppings: shredded Mexican cheese blend, sour cream, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes and sliced ripe olives
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Return to pan; add the beans, cheese, enchilada sauce, water, onion and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 2. Spoon 1/2 cup filling off center on each tortilla. Fold sides and end over filling and roll up. Wrap individually in paper towels, then foil. Transfer to a resealable plastic bag. May be frozen for up to 2 months.
- 3. To use frozen burritos: Unwrap foil. Place paper towel-wrapped burritos on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Serve with toppings of your choice. Yield: 16 servings.
1 burrito (calculated without toppings) equals 462 calories, 18 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 867 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 24 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC