- wine, broth, bay leaves, salt, thyme and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add
- barley; cover and simmer 45 minutes longer or until barley and meat
- are tender.
- Combine flour and cold water until smooth. Gradually stir into pan.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Discard bay leaves. Stir in balsamic vinegar
- just before serving. Sprinkle each serving with parsley if desired.
- Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 209 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 541 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 14 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.