Beef and Barley Stew Recipe
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup uncooked medium pearl barley
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 to 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef in oil until meat is no longer pink. Add the carrots, onion and celery; cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cook 1 minute longer. Add the mushrooms, stewed tomatoes, water, wine, broth, bay leaves, salt, thyme and pepper.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add barley; cover and simmer 45 minutes longer or until barley and meat are tender.
- 3. Combine flour and cold water until smooth. Gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Discard bay leaves. Stir in balsamic vinegar just before serving. Sprinkle each serving with parsley if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 cup: 209 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 541mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 14g protein.
Reviews for Beef and Barley Stew
"My family did not go for this recipe. I did change it up a little and used a crockpot, didn't want to be tied to the stove all day. The vinegar was over powering, I used 1 1/2 Tablespoons."
"I made this stew on a cool fall evening for my husband and myself and we both loved it! I was happy it made enough for leftovers. The meat was so tender and the vegetables were perfect. The wine and vinegar added a wonderful flavor. My husband said it was the best beef stew he ever had!"
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.