Beef and Barley Stew Recipe
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup uncooked medium pearl barley
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 to 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef in oil until meat is no longer pink. Add the carrots, onion and celery; cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cook 1 minute longer. Add the mushrooms, stewed tomatoes, water, wine, broth, bay leaves, salt, thyme and pepper.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add barley; cover and simmer 45 minutes longer or until barley and meat are tender.
- 3. Combine flour and cold water until smooth. Gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Discard bay leaves. Stir in balsamic vinegar just before serving. Sprinkle each serving with parsley if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 209 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 541 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 14 g protein.
Reviews for Beef and Barley Stew
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.