Beef and Barley Soup Recipe
I love this recipe because it's so easy to prepare. It allows me time to play with my two children - Avery, 4, and Sarah, 2 - or work on craft projects. I usually serve it with crusty bread and a crisp green salad.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 pound beef short ribs
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 8 cups water
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown ribs. Add the onions, carrots, celery, tomatoes, water and bouillon; bring to a boil.
- 2. Cover and simmer for 2 hours or until beef is tender. Add barley; cover and simmer 50-60 minutes longer or until the barley is tender. Yield: 10-12 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC