- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 pound beef short ribs
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 8 cups water
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown ribs. Add the onions, carrots, celery, tomatoes, water and bouillon; bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 2 hours or until beef is tender. Add barley; cover and simmer 50-60 minutes longer or until the barley is tender. Yield: 10-12 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Beef and Barley Soup
"OK recipe. High in cholesterol per the nutritional calculator I had analyze it."
"I haven't made the soup yet just found it on while roaming but it does sound good other than the tomatoes myself and husband and 4 sons do not like tomatoes and i was just woundering if it had a tomatoe taste to it cause if so it would be a waste for me to make just asking? thanks"
"The genius of this recipe lies in the bone-in short ribs, I refer to as flavor missiles. The chicken bullion granules boiled with the ribs makes for a amazing broth. Unlike the previous reviews I added the entire 28oz of tomatoes. In fact I added 2 tbls of tomato paste to give it a nice deep rich base. FANTASTIC flavor. a tsp of basil, tyme, and oregano for personal touch and I'm telling you. Excellent soup!"
"Good Fall soup :)"
"I WISH SOME ONE WOULD ADD THE NUTRITIONAL FACTS TO THIS soup, BUT CHANCES ARE I'LL MAKE IT ANYWAY. IT SOUNDS SOOOOOO GOOD."
"My family liked the soup, but they thought it had too many tomatoes. Next time I will use a 14.5 oz. can and not the 28 oz. can. Also, my husband recommending adding more barley."