- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 pound beef short ribs
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 8 cups water
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown ribs. Add the onions, carrots, celery, tomatoes, water and bouillon; bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 2 hours or until beef is tender. Add barley; cover and simmer 50-60 minutes longer or until the barley is tender. Yield: 10-12 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Beef and Barley Soup
Sort By :
I have made this soup several times and use beef shanks, cheaper than short ribs, and receive many compliments. The soup is very tasty.
I haven't made the soup yet just found it on while roaming but it does sound good other than the tomatoes myself and husband and 4 sons do not like tomatoes and i was just woundering if it had a tomatoe taste to it cause if so it would be a waste for me to make just asking? thanks
The genius of this recipe lies in the bone-in short ribs, I refer to as flavor missiles. The chicken bullion granules boiled with the ribs makes for a amazing broth. Unlike the previous reviews I added the entire 28oz of tomatoes. In fact I added 2 tbls of tomato paste to give it a nice deep rich base. FANTASTIC flavor. a tsp of basil, tyme, and oregano for personal touch and I'm telling you. Excellent soup!
Good Fall soup :)
I WISH SOME ONE WOULD ADD THE NUTRITIONAL FACTS TO THIS SOUP, BUT CHANCES ARE I'LL MAKE IT ANYWAY. IT SOUNDS SOOOOOO GOOD.