Beef and Barley Mulligan
This hearty recipe was in a handmade recipe book I received from a relative as a bridal shower gift.Dawn Supina, Edmonton, Alberta
6-8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef with onion and green pepper
- until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in remaining
- ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for
- about 1 hour or until barley is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 230 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 750 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 20 g protein.