Beef and Barley Mulligan Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1. In a large skillet, cook ground beef with onion and green pepper until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 1 hour or until barley is tender, stirring occasionally. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 each: 230 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 750mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 20g protein.
Reviews for Beef and Barley Mulligan
"This was pretty good and very easy! I used Rotel tomatoes, because that's what I had on hand. A little too spicy for me, but my own fault! LOL! I also added about a t. of Italian seasoning. Will definitely make it again!"
"This was very good, I wasn't sure what kind of flavor to expect with brown sugar & vinegar. I wished it was a little tangier, but it was good as prepared, and I would definitely make it again."