- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef with onion and green pepper until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 1 hour or until barley is tender, stirring occasionally. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Beef and Barley Mulligan
"This was pretty good and very easy! I used Rotel tomatoes, because that's what I had on hand. A little too spicy for me, but my own fault! LOL! I also added about a t. of Italian seasoning. Will definitely make it again!"
"This was very good, I wasn't sure what kind of flavor to expect with brown sugar & vinegar. I wished it was a little tangier, but it was good as prepared, and I would definitely make it again."