Beef and Bacon Chowder Recipe
My mother discovered this recipe while I was still a child, and we loved it! To save time, I sometimes cook the carrots and potatoes in the microwave. Either way, this chowder is perfect for a family supper and special enough for company.—Marilyn Yost, Livingston, California
- 12 bacon strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 to 3 cups diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 4 cups milk
- 3 to 4 cups diced peeled potatoes, cooked and drained
- 2 cups sliced fresh carrots, cooked and drained
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; pour off drippings and remove bacon to paper towel to drain.
- 2. In the same skillet, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink and the vegetables are tender; drain. Add the soup, milk, potatoes, carrots, salt, pepper and reserved bacon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until heated through. Garnish with parsley. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 214 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 764 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 13 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC