My mother discovered this recipe while I was still a child, and we loved it! To save time, I sometimes cook the carrots and potatoes in the microwave. Either way, this chowder is perfect for a family supper and special enough for company.—Marilyn Yost, Livingston, California
Featured In: 51 Cozy Slow Cooker Soups
- 12 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 to 3 cups diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 4 cups milk
- 3 to 4 cups diced peeled potatoes, cooked and drained
- 2 cups sliced fresh carrots, cooked and drained
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; pour off drippings and remove bacon to paper towel to drain.
- In the same skillet, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink and the vegetables are tender; drain. Add the soup, milk, potatoes, carrots, salt, pepper and reserved bacon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until heated through. Garnish with parsley. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Beef and Bacon Chowder in Country Ground Beef 1993, p17
Reviews for Beef and Bacon Chowder
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 2, 2014
"We had this tonight for supper and everyone loved it. I agree with a previous review that 2 tsp of salt would be too much. I just added salt to taste. This recipe will go into my regular rotation!"
Reviewed Oct. 6, 2009
"This has become one of our family favorites."