Beef and Asparagus Stir-Fry Recipe
- 1 pound beef top round steak (3/4 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup water, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 cups fresh asparagus pieces or fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup sliced cauliflower
- 1 small sweet red or green pepper, julienned
- 1 small onion, cut into 1/4-inch wedges
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. Slice beef into thin 3-in. strips. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the cornstarch, 2 tablespoons water, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce; add the beef. Seal bag and turn to coat.
- 2. In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry half of the beef in 1 tablespoon oil until no longer pink; remove from the skillet and keep warm. Repeat with remaining beef and 1 tablespoon oil.
- 3. Stir-fry the asparagus and cauliflower in remaining oil for 4 minutes. Add red pepper and onion; stir-fry for 2 minutes. Return beef to skillet.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine the bouillon, soy sauce, ketchup, vinegar and remaining water; add to the skillet. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until heated through. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
1/6 recipe (prepared with low-sodium beef bouillon and light soy sauce; calculated without added salt and rice) equals 330 calories, 12 g fat (0 saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 250 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.