Shredded potatoes bulk up this hefty meat loaf, seasoned with garlic and thyme, and shared by Fern Nead of Florence, Kentucky.
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 2/3 cup ketchup, divided
- 1 medium potato, peeled and finely shredded
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3/4 pound lean ground turkey
- In a large bowl, combine egg whites and 1/3 cup ketchup. Stir in the potato, green pepper, onion, garlic, salt, thyme and pepper. Crumble beef and turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into a 10-in. x 4-in. loaf.
- Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with heavy-duty foil and coat the foil with cooking spray. Place loaf in pan. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 45 minutes; drain. Brush with remaining ketchup. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 165°. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Beef 'n' Turkey Meat Loaf in Light & Tasty February/March 2007, p21
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Beef 'n' Turkey Meat Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 13, 2008
"I like onions, but this was just too many for me. 1/2 an onion would have been plenty. Overall, I wasn't impressed with this recipe."