Beef 'n' Rice Bake
"A good friend who's a missionary in the Phillippines gave me this casserole recipe," relates Deborah Schermerhorn of Colorado Springs, Colorado. "Chow mein noodles provide the nice crunch in this hearty dish."
4-6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 can (3 ounces) chow mein noodles
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat
- until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the rice, peppers,
- mushrooms, soy sauce, butter and brown sugar; heat through.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350°
- for 25-30 minutes. Sprinkle with chow mein noodles. Bake, uncovered,
- 5-10 minutes longer or until the noodles are crisp. Yield: 4-6
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 342 calories, 15 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 1,488 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 20 g protein.