- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 can (3 ounces) chow mein noodles
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the rice, peppers, mushrooms, soy sauce, butter and brown sugar; heat through.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes. Sprinkle with chow mein noodles. Bake, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer or until the noodles are crisp. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Beef 'n' Rice Bake
"I messed this up and it STILL tasted good! I didn't have as much soy sauce as I thought I did and was just a tad short. Instead, I used some teriyaki sauce to top it off. I omitted the mushrooms as well because I really hate them. Also, because the previous reviewer said the chow mein noodles became soggy with the leftovers, I only put the noodles on the portion I knew my husband and I could finish that night. Then, we'd just put some on top the leftovers after they were reheated. I thought this was a tad dry when we first ate it (probably because I used a bit of teriyaki sauce and that's thicker than soy sauce), but the leftovers were quite moist! We will DEFINITELY be making this again! I loved all the veggies in it too, made it feel a bit healthier. I might even try adding in some chopped water chestnuts next time."
"I have made this dish several times. It's easy and very good. My family always goes back for seconds. Not the best dish for leftovers because the noodles aren't as crunchy when you reheat it, but it is still a great dish!"