"A good friend who's a missionary in the Phillippines gave me this casserole recipe," relates Deborah Schermerhorn of Colorado Springs, Colorado. "Chow mein noodles provide the nice crunch in this hearty dish."
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 can (3 ounces) chow mein noodles
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the rice, peppers, mushrooms, soy sauce, butter and brown sugar; heat through.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes. Sprinkle with chow mein noodles. Bake, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer or until the noodles are crisp. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Beef 'n' Rice Bake in Quick Cooking January/February 1999, p49
Reviews for Beef 'n' Rice Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 9, 2011
"I have made this dish several times. It's easy and very good. My family always goes back for seconds. Not the best dish for leftovers because the noodles aren't as crunchy when you reheat it, but it is still a great dish!"