"A good friend who's a missionary in the Phillippines gave me this casserole recipe," relates Deborah Schermerhorn of Colorado Springs, Colorado. "Chow mein noodles provide the nice crunch in this hearty dish."
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 can (3 ounces) chow mein noodles
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the rice, peppers, mushrooms, soy sauce, butter and brown sugar; heat through.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes. Sprinkle with chow mein noodles. Bake, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer or until the noodles are crisp. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Beef 'n' Rice Bake in Quick Cooking January/February 1999, p49
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Beef 'n' Rice Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review