Everyone likes eggplant when you taste it in this savory pie. If you have eggplant in the garden or can get it at the market, I'd recommend this recipe. If the eggplant is large and the skin seems tough, its a good idea to peel it first. -Audrey Nemeth Chesterville, Maine
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups cubed eggplant
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 celery rib with leaves, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a small skillet, melt butter. Add eggplant; saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, celery and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the eggplant, tomato sauce, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat.
- Prick pastry shell with a fork. Add beef mixture. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Beef 'n' Eggplant Pie in Taste of Home August/September 2004, p42
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Beef 'n' Eggplant Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review