Beef 'n' Egg Pockets Recipe
My mother shared the recipe for these hand-held snacks. They disappear whenever I make them. For added flavor, I sometimes toss in sliced fresh mushrooms or chopped green pepper. - Kathy Vail, Canavoy, Prince Edward Island.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 hard-cooked egg, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add milk, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Cover and refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato, egg, salt and pepper.
- Roll out pastry into an 18-in. x 9-in. rectangle; cut into 3-in. squares. Place a rounded tablespoonful of filling in the center of each square. Fold in half, forming triangles; crimp edges to seal. Place on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Beef N Egg Pockets in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p21
Reviews for Beef 'n' Egg Pockets(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review