Beef 'N' Broccoli Stir-Fry Recipe
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 1/3 cup white wine or beef broth
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry the onion, green onion and garlic in oil over low heat until tender. Add beef; stir-fry over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and onions are golden. Using a slotted spoon, remove meat and onions; set aside.
- 2. Add wine or broth to the pan; stir to loosen browned bits. Add broccoli and mushrooms; stir-fry over high heat until broccoli is tender. In a bowl, combine cornstarch and pepper; stir in broth and vinegar until smooth. Add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in beef and onions; heat through. Serve over rice if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (1 cup beef mixture, calculated without rice) equals 248 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 297 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.