Beef 'N' Black-Eyed Pea Salad Recipe
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 12 ounces beef top sirloin steak
- 8 cups torn romaine
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 large sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Combine garlic and chili powder; rub over both sides of steak. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill steak, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done 170°).
- 2. When cool enough to handle, slice meat across the grain into thin strips; place in a large bowl. Add the romaine, peas, red pepper, olives, chilies, onions and cilantro. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (1-2/3 cups) equals 223 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 823 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 17 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.