"I lead a busy life, so I'm always trying to come up with time-saving recipes," relates Vickie Gibson of Gardendale, Alabama. "This zippy and colorful soup is one of my husband's favorites. It has been a hit at family gatherings, too."
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups cooked rice
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook beef until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the next 12 ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low; cook for 4-5 hours or until vegetables are tender. Add the beans and rice; cook 1 hour longer or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Beef 'N' Black Bean Soup in Quick Cooking May/June 2001, p44
Reviews for Beef 'n' Black Bean Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review