Beef 'n' Bean Torta Recipe
"This zesty dish is a favorite of mine because it has a wonderful Southwestern taste and is easy to prepare," explains Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, Texas. "I serve it on nights when we have only a few minutes to eat before running off to meetings or sports events."
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto or black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 4 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- Salsa, sour cream, shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes, optional
- 1. Cut four 20-in. x 3-in. strips of heavy-duty foil; crisscross so they resemble spokes of a wheel. Place strips on the bottom and up the sides of a 5-qt. slow cooker. Coat strips with cooking spray.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, olives, chili powder, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Spoon about 1-2/3 cups into prepared slow cooker; top with one tortilla and 1/4 cup cheese. Repeat layers three times.
- 3. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through. Using foil strips as handles, remove the tortilla stack to a platter. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with salsa, sour cream, lettuce and tomatoes if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 555 calories, 24 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 1,365 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 36 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC