- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto or black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 4 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- Salsa, sour cream, shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes, optional
- Cut four 20x3-in. strips of heavy-duty foil; crisscross so they resemble spokes of a wheel. Place strips on the bottom and up the sides of a 5-qt. slow cooker. Coat strips with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, olives, chili powder, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Spoon about 1-2/3 cups into prepared slow cooker; top with one tortilla and 1/4 cup cheese. Repeat layers three times.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through. Using foil strips as handles, remove the tortilla stack to a platter. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with salsa, sour cream, lettuce and tomatoes if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Beef 'n' Bean Torta
"This recipe will be one of my favorites. Simple to make, simple to change up if you like. I added a bit more cheese. I was surprised how easy those foil strips made it to remove it from the crock pot. I didn't have heavy duty foil, so I just doubled up my regular foil. You could also use ground turkey for a healthier recipe"
"Great recipe. I subbed corn tortillas for the flour as I didn't have any. This made it more tamale flavor this way."
"This recipe is most excellent! We use chicken and garlic salt in ours and omit the hot sauce, which adds a little more flavor in our opinion."
"A favorite in our busy home! Even my 3 year old loves it, and he doesn't like meat normally!"
"Excellent recipe! I used homemade refried beans in place of the beans. Thanks for sharing."