This zesty dish is a favorite of mine because it has a wonderful Southwestern taste and is easy to prepare. I serve it on nights when we have only a few minutes to eat before running off to meetings or sports events. —Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, Texas
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto or black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 4 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- Salsa, sour cream, shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes, optional
- Cut four 20-in. x 3-in. strips of heavy-duty foil; crisscross so they resemble spokes of a wheel. Place strips on the bottom and up the sides of a 5-qt. slow cooker. Coat strips with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, olives, chili powder, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Spoon about 1-2/3 cups into prepared slow cooker; top with one tortilla and 1/4 cup cheese. Repeat layers three times.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through. Using foil strips as handles, remove the tortilla stack to a platter. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with salsa, sour cream, lettuce and tomatoes if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Beef 'N' Bean Torta in Quick Cooking November/December 2003, p36
Reviews for Beef 'n' Bean Torta
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review