Beef 'n' Bean Starter
Nancy Ware of Enon, Ohio uses her slow cooker to prepare this hearty beef and bean mixture, then divides it into two freezer bags. When you're racing against the clock, pull a bag of starter from the freezer to fix Beef 'n' Bean Tortellini Soup or Beef 'n' Bean Chili (also found in Recipe Finder).
32 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 2-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with garlic and onions, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on
- low for 8-9 hours or until beef is tender. Cool.
- Transfer 4 cups to each of two freezer bags or freezer-safe
- containers. May be frozen for up to 3 months. Yield: 8 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/4 cup) equals 78 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 205 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.