Beef 'n' Bean Braid Recipe
From Hotchkiss Colorado, Val O'Connell makes a big impression when she brings this beautiful loaf to a potluck. The hearty filling makes each slice a satisfying treat.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the butter, sugar, salt, egg and 1-1/2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic salt over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, water and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until thickened.
- 4. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 16-in. x 11-in. rectangle. Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. baking sheet. Spread beef mixture down center of dough; sprinkle with cheese. On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips about 1/2 in. from filling. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling; seal ends. Cover and let rise until doubled, 30 minutes.
- 5. Brush egg over dough. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 393 calories, 16 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 111 mg cholesterol, 696 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 24 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC