- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the butter, sugar, salt, egg and 1-1/2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic salt over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, water and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until thickened.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 16-in. x 11-in. rectangle. Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. baking sheet. Spread beef mixture down center of dough; sprinkle with cheese. On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips about 1/2 in. from filling. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling; seal ends. Cover and let rise until doubled, 30 minutes.
- Brush egg over dough. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forBeef 'n' Bean Braid
"This is my husband's favourite recipie. I've never been able to get the braid quite right but it still works if you just fold the edges over and put small slits along the top. Just have to remember to pinch the dough together at the top or you get a big mess."