Beef & Mushroom Braised Stew Recipe
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 to 3 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carton (32 ounces) beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine or additional beef broth
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried parsley flakes, rosemary, sage leaves, tarragon and thyme
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- Hot mashed potatoes
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. In an ovenproof Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat; brown beef in batches. Remove from pan.
- 2. In same pan, add mushrooms and onions; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in broth, wine, brandy, tomato paste and herbs. Return beef to pan. Bring to a boil.
- 3. Bake, covered, 1 hour. In a small bowl, mix flour and water until smooth; gradually stir into stew. Bake, covered, 30 minutes longer or until sauce is thickened and beef is tender. Skim fat. Serve with mashed potatoes.
- 4. Freeze option: Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cups (calculated without mashed potatoes) equals 395 calories, 22 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 761 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 34 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.