Beef & Mushroom Braised Stew Recipe
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 to 3 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carton (32 ounces) beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine or additional beef broth
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried parsley flakes, rosemary, sage leaves, tarragon and thyme
- 3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- Hot mashed potatoes
- Preheat oven to 325°. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. In an ovenproof Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat; brown beef in batches. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, add mushrooms and onions; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in broth, wine, brandy, tomato paste and herbs. Return beef to pan. Bring to a boil.
- Bake, covered, 1 hour. In a small bowl, mix flour and water until smooth; gradually stir into stew. Bake, covered, 30 minutes longer or until sauce is thickened and beef is tender. Skim fat. Serve with mashed potatoes. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Beef & Mushroom Braised Stew(13)
Sort By :
This is one of the best beef dishes!!! Have made many times. My husband loves this dish, especially because it has gravy and mushrooms. Love it that it can be frozen.
This is really tasty...I'm making it again for my husband.
This is pretty good, though not terribly exciting. Nice deep flavor, lots of mushrooms. I used baby portobellas and quartered them.
Just made this using my pressure cooker instead of the oven...cut back on the liquid to 2 cups. Added the brandy to the sauteed mushrooms and then stirred all into the stew. Added 1/2 bag of frozen pearl onions, too. Will have it with mashed potatoes or noodles! Thanks, Amy!
I finished cooking this in a crock pot for 7 hours and the meat was so tender it fell apart. I had cut the chuck roast into larger pieces than the recipe suggested because I knew this would happen. The stew has very nice flavor. I served it over roasted garlic mashed potatoes.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Potatoes >
- Baking Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Stew Recipes >
- Beef Stews >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Stew Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Carb Stew Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >