- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups cooked rice
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook beef until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the next 12 ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low; cook for 4-5 hours or until vegetables are tender. Add the beans and rice; cook 1 hour longer or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Beef & Black Bean Soup
"Tasty, but needs so more spices in my opinion."
"This is a long-time family favorite. It is easily modified for both vegetarian and vegan lifestyles, and substituting whole grain wild rice makes it an even healthier "warm up from the inside" meal."
"My grandson asks me to make this soup. It is a favourite."
"This is a great soup recipe. I have made many times. I also made with veg broth for my vegetarian girls."
"This is very good and not too long to fix. The first time I made this just as the recipe said. Tonight I left the rice and celery out,much much better"
"Liked the original recipe, my girls didn't mind it but when I made it the second time I used Vegetable broth instead of chicken(all I had) and thyme instead of basil and oregano!! My girls absolutely LOVE IT better then the original recipe.They request it all the time and love to take it to school!"
"Delicious and full-flavored. Great with homemade whole wheat bread."
"I actually made this on top of the stove as I was in a hurry. It was really good that way too."
"This soup is fantastic. I made it for my family tonight, we all loved it. It'll definitely go into my recipe book so I can make it when there's a chill in the air.Linda N."