Beef & Barley Soup Recipe
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 8 cups beef broth, divided
- 4 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 4 fresh thyme sprigs, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. Brown beef in drippings. Remove and set aside.
- 2. In the same pan, saute the onions, carrots and mushrooms until tender. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in 4 cups broth, mustard, thyme, bay leaf and beef. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beef is tender.
- 3. Stir in the barley, salt, pepper and remaining broth. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until barley is tender. Discard bay leaf. Stir in bacon. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1-1/4 cups: 381 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 1164mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 29g protein
Reviews for Beef & Barley Soup
"This is a very hearty soup. The bacon adds a complimentary taste to this dish. The specific mustard listed was also a tasty addition."
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.