Bebop Baked Beans
Timeless baked beans are still favorites at picnics and casual gatherings, just like they were back in the '50s. For my theme party, I jazzed up canned pork and beans with bacon, green pepper and barbecue sauce. It's a simple recipe with down-home taste.
-Judy Nix, Toccoa, Georgia
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pork and beans
- 1/3 cup hickory smoke-flavored barbecue sauce
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove
- to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Saute
- green pepper in drippings until tender.
- Drain one can of beans. In a large bowl, combine both cans of beans,
- barbecue sauce, brown sugar, mustard and green pepper.
- Transfer to a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350°
- for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 6
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 184 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 448 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein.