Timeless baked beans are still favorites at picnics and casual gatherings, just like they were back in the '50s. For my theme party, I jazzed up canned pork and beans with bacon, green pepper and barbecue sauce. It's a simple recipe with down-home taste. -Judy Nix, Toccoa, Georgia
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pork and beans
- 1/3 cup hickory smoke-flavored barbecue sauce
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Saute green pepper in drippings until tender.
- Drain one can of beans. In a large bowl, combine both cans of beans, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, mustard and green pepper.
- Transfer to a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Bebop Baked Beans in Taste of Home October/November 2002, p39
Reviews for Bebop Baked Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review