Beary Cute Cookies Recipe
These cheery cookie cubs, served at my teddy bear picnic, will delight "kids" of all ages! I like to make fun foods but don't care to spend a whole lot of time fussing. So the idea of using candy for the bears' features was right up my alley. -Susan Schuller, Brainerd, Minnesota
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min./batch YIELD:30 servings
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Additional sugar
- 30 miniature milk chocolate kisses
- 60 M&M's miniature baking bits
- Colored decorating icing, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture (dough will be crumbly).
- 2. Set aside about 1/2 cup dough for ears. Shape remaining dough into 1-in. balls; roll in additional sugar. Place 3 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten to about 1/2-in. thickness. Roll reserved dough into 1/2-in. balls; roll in sugar. Place two smaller balls about 1 in. apart touching each flattened ball (do not flatten smaller balls).
- 3. Bake 10-12 minutes or until set and edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven; immediately press one kiss and two baking bits into each cookie for nose and eyes. Cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. If desired, pipe with colored icing. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC