- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup minced shallot
- 3 tarragon sprigs
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, wine, shallot, tarragon sprigs and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes or until mixture is reduced by half. Strain and set liquid aside; discard solids.
- In a small heavy saucepan, whisk the egg yolks, water, salt, white pepper and reserved vinegar liquid. Cook and stir over low heat until the mixture begins to thicken, bubbles around the edges and reaches 160°. Gradually whisk in butter. Remove from the heat; stir in minced tarragon and parsley. Serve immediately. Yield: 1 cup.
Originally published as Bearnaise Sauce in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2006, p418
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Bearnaise Sauce(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review