Kids can help add the "claws" to our Test Kitchen's clever cookies. Don't be surprised if they swipe a sample before the party guests arrive!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups sweetened puffed wheat cereal
- 3 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in cereal. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar. Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place melted chocolate in a pastry bag or resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in corner of bag. For bear claws, pipe three small dabs of chocolate on each cookie; top each with an almond. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Bear Claw Cookies in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p197
Reviews for Bear Claw Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review