Beans 'n' Caramelized Onions Recipe
- 4 bacon strips
- 2 large onions, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside. Cook onions in drippings over medium-low heat until tender and golden brown, about 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the beans in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Stir the vinegar and brown sugar into onions; add beans. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 1 minute. Add bacon; toss gently. Season with salt and pepper. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Beans 'n' Caramelized Onions(7)
Sort By :
I made this recipe for the first time on Thanksgiving of 2011 and then again on Christmas 2011, I have made it at different times during this year and am getting ready to make it again for Christmas 2012! I absolutely love it! The tart taste of the apple cider vinegar is what I love the most about it. It is a favorite side at our house!
I found this recipe four years ago and it has become a Thanksgiving staple in our home!!
Everyone loved this when I made it for both thanksgivings we went to. On the sweetside but very good.
i was really looking forward to this recipe because i love garden fresh green beans. my dad loved them but my boyfriend and i thought they were just OK. i feel that they tasted to much like the cider vinegar and were too sour for me. the green beans cooked very well but the flavor was not what i expected. if you are fan of vinegar then you will like this recipe but it is still worth trying. i might still make it again for my dad.