Bacon, brown sugar and cider vinegar seasons this side dish. I often serve this dish to guests, and it never fails to please.—Jill Heatwole, Pittsville, Maryland
- 4 bacon strips
- 2 large onions, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside. Cook onions in drippings over medium-low heat until tender and golden brown, about 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the beans in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Stir the vinegar and brown sugar into onions; add beans. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 1 minute. Add bacon; toss gently. Season with salt and pepper. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Beans 'n' Caramelized Onions in Taste of Home February/March 2003, p19
Reviews for Beans 'n' Caramelized Onions
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review