Beans & Spinach
“One of our favorite appetizers at a local restaurant is made with white beans and escarole. It’s nearly impossible to find escarole where we live, so we subbed in baby spinach and were pleasantly surprised by the result. Enjoy!” Patrick and Helen Reddy - Wilmington, North Carolina
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 pound fresh baby spinach
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute garlic in oil until tender. Remove
- garlic and discard. Add onions to pan; saute until crisp-tender.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat for
- 10-12 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Serve with a slotted
- spoon. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 138 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 446 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.