“One of our favorite appetizers at a local restaurant is made with white beans and escarole. It’s nearly impossible to find escarole where we live, so we subbed in baby spinach and were pleasantly surprised by the result. Enjoy!” Patrick and Helen Reddy - Wilmington, North Carolina
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 pound fresh baby spinach
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute garlic in oil until tender. Remove garlic and discard. Add onions to pan; saute until crisp-tender.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Beans & Spinach in Healthy Cooking April/May 2010, p57
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Beans & Spinach
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review