Bean Vegetable Soup Recipe
Beans add extra texture and flavor to this vegetable soup.—Bean Education and Awareness Network, Scottsbluff, Nebraska
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) navy or great northern beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the carrots, onions and celery in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in broth, one can of beans, broccoli and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes.
- 2. Place remaining beans in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Add to the soup with spinach if desired; simmer for 2 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup equals 174 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 914 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC