Bean Vegetable Soup Recipe
Beans add extra texture and flavor to this vegetable soup. This soup is light in calories yet packed with flavor. —Bean Education and Awareness Network, Scottsbluff, Nebraska
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) navy or great northern beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the carrots, onions and celery in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in broth, one can of beans, broccoli and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes.
- 2. Place remaining beans in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Add to the soup with spinach if desired; simmer for 2 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup equals 174 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 914 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC